HSF's Community of Practice - Embracing Our Spark: Stepping into Our Voice and Power
Fireside Chat with Sally Kohn
Sally Kohn is a television commentator, writer and executive presence coach working with top executives and political leaders.
A frequent guest on CNN and MSNBC — and, once upon a time, Fox News — Sally's first book THE OPPOSITE OF HATE was published in April 2018. She is on the Board of Contributors for USA Today and a contributing editor to Afar magazine. Sally is also a TED Curator and her three hit TED Talks have been viewed more than 6 million times. She is also a popular keynote speaker at business conferences and on college campuses talking about how to end political division and save democracy by cultivating connection and belonging. Read more about Sally here.
Sally will cultivate an energizing discourse on storytelling, advocacy, and finding your voice on issues you care about.
Sally will then be joined by Emma to co-facilitate an immersive conversation with attendees. This interactive session will create a safe and inclusive space for meaningful dialogue and connection. Join us as we delve into the topics that are currently at the forefront of our minds, encouraging open and thought-provoking discussions.
Breakout Session Descriptions:
Unlocking Solutions: Tackling the Homelessness and Housing Crisis Head-On in MontCo
- A thought-provoking panel conversation on homelessness and housing, where experts will share on the current state of affairs in these critical areas.
- Learn insights, strategies, and practical tips from these experienced advocates on how they engage in advocacy efforts.
- Discover how you can actively participate and get involved.
Facilitated by: Mark Boorse, Access Services
Panelists: Commissioner Shawn Kraemer, Lower Merion Township; Kim Krauter, Walters Development; Muneera Walker, Neighbors Helping Neighbors on the Main Line
The Time is Now: Advocacy for Impactful Change
- Nonprofits are uniquely able to build community trust and actively gain direct perspectives of what issues are deeply impacting communities.
- Learn from nonprofit leaders that are successfully implementing strategies for long-term policy change and not band-aid solutions.
- Hear why it’s important for nonprofits to participate in advocacy and voter registration.
Facilitated by: Shirlee Howe, Children First
Panelists: Meg Currie Teoh, Manna on Main Street; Angie Hinton, PA Youth Vote; Nelly Jimenez, ACLAMO
Unleashing the Power of Diversity: Building Multicultural Leadership for Inclusive Excellence
- Explore the empowering impact of multiculturalism within the nonprofit sector.
- Recognize the demand for this dialogue: the imperative for diverse groups engaged in various projects to come together in meaningful conversations and collaborate towards achieving more inclusive and representative leadership.
- Take action now: integrate multicultural perspectives into your work. Connect and network with partners who can contribute to enhancing your ability to build multicultural teams, fostering diversity and inclusivity.
Facilitated by: Akshara Vivekananthan, HealthSpark Foundation
Panelists: Obed Arango, CCATE; Melonie Butler, I Choose to Win; Jung Lee, Jaisohn Wellness Center
Fueling Our Connection: Networking with MontCo Funders
- Build connections with MontCo Funders and have a chance to ask questions.
- Exchange knowledge, advice, and experiences.
- Facilitated in a brave and safe space.
- Learn about current funder initiatives and priorities.
Facilitated by: Meghan McVety, Capacity for Change, LLC
Panelists: Mindy Aldridge, Nelson Foundation; Jennifer Carroll, Connelly Foundation; Diana Doherty, VNA Foundation; Marisa Ferst, Genuardi Family Foundation; Virginia Frantz, Montgomery County Foundation, Inc.; Emma Hertz, HealthSpark Foundation; Kate Houstoun, United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey