MontCo Shines - 2024 Greater Philadelphia Social Innovation Awards
Social Innovation Journal’s Greater Philadelphia Social Innovation Awards 2024 took place on January 25th. Each year, the awards celebrate the region’s social innovators and changemakers “achieving a more just society.”
How the process works: the planning team behind the awards accepts nominations from the public. Once nominations have been submitted, the nomination committee selects a finalist for each county in the region (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia). The public then has the opportunity to vote for the winner in each award category.
This year’s awards had 11 categories and HealthSpark connections shone bright, including our own President and CEO Emma Hertz, and Board Members, John C. Kepner and Reverend Carolyn Cavaness.
- Emma was honored with second place in the Investment Strategies category, for leading HealthSpark into our first program-related investment in Manna on Main Street.
- Rev. Cavaness was honored with second place in the Healthy Food Access & Nutrition category, for her leadership at The Bethel AME Church, in starting a community garden, which aims to provide community wellness, intergenerational learning, and food sovereignty.
- John was honored as a runner up in the Innovative Partnerships category, for The College Student Basics Needs Program, which supports under-resourced college students with assistance such as online food-ordering models and housing solutions.
HealthSpark would also like to congratulate Montgomery County leader Dr. Bernadine Eyo Ahonkhai for winning first place in the Equity & Justice category, for her work in creating and implementing The Youth Build Diversity Ambassador Leadership Program, a program of her organization Coalition for Racial Equity and Social Justice.
Here is the complete list of Montgomery County's finalists:
- Community Behavioral Health – Emily Vincent, The Center for Loss & Bereavement
- Education Entrepreneurship – Montgomery County Norristown Public Library System
- Equity & Justice – Dr. Bernadine Eyo Ahonkai, The Youth Build Diversity Ambassador Leadership Program
- Healthy Community & Environment – George J.S. Choe, Jaisohn Center
- Healthy Food Access & Nutrition – The Rev. Carolyn Cavaness, Bethel AME Church
- Housing & Community Development – Your Way Home (YWH) Emergency Rent and Utility Coalition
- Investment Strategies – Emma Hertz, HealthSpark Foundation
- Innovative Partnerships - John C. Kepner, The College Student Basic Needs Program
- Societal Impact – Nelly Jimenez, ACLAMO
- Workforce and Economic Development - Michelle Buckman and Lowell Steinberg, Blossom Café and Floral and Hardy
- Young People – Angelique Hinton, PA Youth Vote
For more details about the Greater Philadelphia Social Innovation Awards 2024, click here.